Excessive Hair Loss
Excessive hair loss can be triggered by a number of causes, and may be recognized by incidents of large amounts of hair falling out, gradual thinning, or by sudden occurrences of patches devoid of hair. Some forms of hair loss will resolve themselves on their own and regrow spontaneously, while others may require treatments to stimulate hair growth. Hair loss may be an early sign of an underlying disease, so determining the cause of hair loss is important before embarking on a treatment. Your dermatologist will evaluate your hair loss problem to make a diagnosis, attempt to identify a cause, and determine the best course of action.
The normal hair growth cycle
Hair grows in cycles that normally last between two and six years. About 90% of the hair on your scalp is actively growing at any one time, and each hair grows approximately one centimeter per month during this phase. The other 10% of the hair on your scalp is in a resting phase that lasts two to three months before falling out. After a hair is shed, a new hair from the same follicle replaces it and the growing cycle starts again.
Under normal circumstances, as much as 50 to 100 hairs are shed per day as part of the cycle, and should not be a cause for alarm.
Some causes of excessive hair loss include:
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this site is strictly intended only for the use of registered patients and is confidential and may be privileged and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any unauthorised use, copying, dissemination or any other action taken or otherwise omitted to be taken in reliance upon this information is prohibited.